Keep your website up-to-date!
Software needs updating. All software. Including the software that powers your website.
WordPress is an ever-evolving piece of software, which is always acquiring:
- New features
- Added functionality
- Bug fixes
- Security fixes
It's always recommended you install WordPress Core, plugin and theme updates when they become available.
Why upgrade your WordPress website?
- Fix bugs and security loopholes
- It keeps your website secure
- It helps ensure compatibility with new plugins
- You get to use the latest features
What do you need to upgrade?
- WordPress Core (the actual WordPress software)
- Your plugins
- Your theme, which may often also include:
- Parent theme
- Child theme
Before doing any kind of upgrade, make sure you have a recent backup. Backups will enable you to roll back changes if you uncover a plugin conflict or something which doesn’t work right with the upgrade.
Are you keeping your WordPress website up-to-date?
From experience I have found that clients tend not to update their WordPress site for the following reasons:
- Fear of breaking something
- Forgetting or not finding the time
- Lack of knowledge on how to perform updates
- Unaware of importance and potential repercussions
- Focus is on business, not website
I understand. But it’s not a reason not to do them. 🙂
Remember, when updates are neglected, WordPress websites can become vulnerable.
Over to you…
Do you have a WordPress website? Do you struggle with maintenance, security and updates?
If you’d like a helping hand in managing your WordPress website, I offer ongoing support. More information on my WordPress Care Plans can be found here.